Nominations Are Now Closed
The 14th Annual European Single Manager Awards 2014
The Hedge Funds Review European Single Manager Awards 2014, now in its fourteenth year, recognizes the best of Europe's hedge fund managers. Held exclusively for the European hedge fund industry, the event continues to attract the top names and remains the most prestigious in its category.
Already Listed with BarclayHedge? If you are currently supplying your fund(s) data to BarclayHedge and would like to be considered for any performance award please contact Sol Waksman by clicking . (Fund entries must be submitted by March 21, 2014 to be considered for participation. There is no cost to participate.)
Not Yet Listed? If you are not currently supplying your fund(s) data to BarclayHedge, please click the button below to begin the simple process of adding your fund(s) to our database:
As a contributor to the BarclayHedge database, you will have the opportunity to be recognized among the best performing funds in the following major Quantitative categories:
- Performance awards (one year)
- Emerging manager performance awards (one year)
- Long-term performance awards (three and 10 years)
- Alternative UCITS performance awards (one year)
Hedge funds are also invited to enter the Qualitative categories that recognize achievements in product development, innovation, client service and excellence in the industry by both groups and individuals. Click here for details.
Data from the BarclayHedge Database provides initial quantitative screening of funds in each category. An expert judging panel then reviews the risk and return characteristics of the top funds and agrees on a shortlist and winner in each of the categories. More information on Selection Methodology can be found here.
Fund entries must be submitted by March 21, 2014
to be considered for participation.
There is no cost to participate.
Winners of the 14th European Single Manager Awards 2014 will be recognized at a black-tie dinner on May 22 at the Park Lane Hotel in London. Click here for more information on venue details.
The hedge fund investment process relies on more than just numbers and our judging process recognizes this.
An expert judging panel reviews the risk and return characteristics of the top funds and agrees a shortlist and winner in each category. The judging panel, chaired by Hedge Funds Review executive editor Margie Lindsay, is impartial and unbiased and rewards genuine performance and quality. Members of the panel are William Benjamin, global head of research at HSBC Alternative Investments; Luke Dixon, co-head of public market manager selection at USS IM; Simon Fox, principal at Mercer's alternatives boutique, part of the Investments business; Chris Jones, head of public markets and alternatives at bfinance, an independent, privately owned, financial services firm; Tushar Patel, chief investment officer and managing director at HFIM, an investment firm focused on hedge funds; and Matthew Roberts, head of multi-strategy hedge fund research at Towers Watson.
Winners are selected using a rigorous methodology that combines quantitative and qualitative analysis. The process begins by running a quantitative screen over the funds entering each category, extracting raw performance figures as well as other important metrics.
Funds that meet the qualification criteria are then ranked on returns, Sharpe and Sortino ratios, and downside deviation. The funds with the best aggregate ranking will make the long list that goes before the panel of judges.
The judging panel considers the results of the quantitative analysis and selects a winner in each category. In selecting the winning fund, the judges take into account the quantitative analysis as well as their qualitative experience and expertise.
The qualitative awards are at the discretion of the judging panel.
Performance awards (one year)
- Best long/short equity hedge fund
- Best event driven hedge fund
- Best global macro hedge fund
- Best fixed income hedge fund
- Best credit/distressed hedge fund
- Best equity market neutral hedge fund
- Best convertible bond arbitrage hedge fund
- Best volatility hedge fund
- Best managed futures/CTA hedge fund
- Best energy/commodities hedge fund
- Best foreign exchange hedge fund
- Best emerging Europe, Middle East and/or Africa-focused hedge fund
- Best Asia-focused hedge fund
- Best global emerging markets-focused hedge fund
- Best multi-strategy hedge fund
- Best sub-$100m hedge fund
- Hedge fund of the year (chosen from all funds in this section excluding sub-$100m)
Emerging manager performance awards (one year)
- Best equity hedge emerging manager
- Best event driven emerging manager
- Best global macro emerging manager (includes FX, emerging markets, commodities and energy)
- Best fixed income/credit emerging manager
- Best managed futures/CTA emerging manager
- Emerging manager of the year (chosen from all entries in this section)
Long-term performance awards
- Best directional hedge fund over three years
- Best non-directional hedge fund over three years
- Best directional hedge fund over 10 years
- Best non-directional hedge fund over 10 years
Alternative UCITS performance awards (one year)
- Best equity hedge alternative UCITS fund
- Best macro alternative UCITS fund
- Best sub-$100m alternative UCITS fund
- Alternative UCITS fund of the year (chosen from all entries in this section)
- Best new hedge fund
- Most innovative hedge fund
- Best overall group
- Best investor relations team
- Lifetime achievement (awarded to an individual)
- Outstanding contribution to the industry by an institutional investor
- Outstanding contribution to the industry (awarded to an individual)